Plan of the medieval borough of Salford. Image courtesy of Oxford Archaeology North.
By the early 13th century a settlement had grown up at a ford across the River Irwell, close to its junction with the River Irk. This was to become the core of the medieval town of Salford. Henry III granted this community market status in 1228. Shortly afterwards, in 1230, Ranulph de Blundevill, Earl of Chester, granted the settlement its own borough charter. This means of course that Salford had a town charter 70 years before its long standing rival, Manchester, and in the process cemented its place at the heart of the administrative Hundred of Salford.
The medieval town was built around Chapel Street, Greengate and Gravel Lane, forming a triangular plan. Salford Bridge, on or close to the site of Victoria Bridge, gave access to Manchester and was in existence by 1226. Documents also…
View original post 288 more words