1. That the phrase ‘to pull your own weight’ originated with the sport of rowing.
2. That the English city of Manchester was dubbed the ‘Cottonopolis’ during the Victorian era and was the international centre for household linen?
3. The European roulette wheels contain 37 numbered pockets. Fittingly the sum of these numbers is 666 (0-36)
4. Scissors go all the way back to the 18th dynasty Egypt (1500BC), some came in solid gold, even if they looked more like shears.
5. Dancing with scissors is a competition that dates back to the 1500’s in Peru. It’s a traditional test of manliness where two or more guys leap about furiously snipping in time to a beat. Once they are knackered they start skewering themselves with pointed sticks before eating glass, walking on fire and flaying each other with sarcasm. The whole thing can last for hours until one of them…